Today:- New Delhi, Nov – Since time immemorial, we have been told to sit, walk and eat in a particular way to give out a strong impression to others, but there are certain myths that need to be broken.
It’s alright to extend a handshake to a lady or eating pizza with your hand during meeting people in public, says an expert.
Sheena Agarwaal, director, Urbanista Image Consulting, tells us that it is alright “to be yourself” and break some traditional rules of public meeting that are absolutely perfect.
* Don’t go for direct eye contact. A more effective way to ensure you look interested and engaged is to look at different parts of someone’s face every two seconds, rotating from eyes, to nose, to lips, so you’re never just drilling into the interviewer’s eyes.
* It’s okay to extend a handshake to a lady. While it was earlier believed that one must refrain from any contact, today’s business world is gender neutral and handshakes are absolutely acceptable.
* Eating pizza with your hand is absolutely acceptable. Contrary to popular belief, one need not use a fork and knife to eat a pizza. One can very well pick up a slice fold it from the two ends and eat it.
* It’s absolutely okay to pick your teeth while on the dining table. One just needs to cover the mouth with the other hand.
* If someone has their arms folded across, they are not necessarily uninterested in having a conversation with you. It could also mean that they are feeling cold.
Photo: Curtsy thehindu.com